Thursday 26 November 2020

Becoming Michelle Obama Book Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐



"Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own."



A few months ago I looked at the documentary "Becoming Michelle Obama." on Netflix and I told myself that I needed to read this book before the year ends. All I can say is that I am glad I did.

This book needs to be available in my opinion in every single library especially in the United States for generations. Not only was this story an inspiration on many levels I really liked how Michelle Obama gave a detailed account of what her experience was as the first lady of the United States. In future, this could be a guide for future first ladies so they can have an idea of what to expect in that role and even how to cope with daily life in the White House.

As an educator myself, what intrigued me  was how in spite of Mrs. Obama's background that her parents still pushed the importance of education. Michelle Obama is living proof especially to the black community that an education can indeed change your life.

 One of the most impacting quotes that I took away though was when she said; "You've got to be twice as good to get half as far." That really touched me because it is our truth as people of African Descent in anything that we do in this world we always need to be the best to get that respect. It is just a fact.

The writing in this book was excellent, by reading I felt as if I was a part of the journey. Sometimes autobiographical stories like this can read like a textbook in my opinion, but "Becoming" did not give that textbook vibe in no way at all. 

I am not an American Citizen but having read this, I would have been proud to know that the country had such a family in the White House.

Great book. 

2 comments:

  1. I was hesitant about this book at first but now I kinda wanna read it too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After watching the Documentary on Netflix I decided to read it. It was indeed a well written autobiography. Very inspiring

      Delete