Saturday 16 July 2022

BOOK REVIEW: IT ENDS WITH US BY COLLEEN HOOVER


 Synopsis

Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.

Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up — she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan — her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.


MY THOUGHTS

I am at the point where I can say that Colleen Hoover is a master storyteller. This story took me on an emotional rollercoaster. I am not sure why I was expecting a typical romance book though. Lily and Ryle's relationship was really interesting. I loved Atlas for obvious reasons but it was Ryle that I connected with the most in this book. He was not the typical profile (*MINI SPOLIER) of an abuser. He was a neurosurgeon, handsome with a great family all in all a good catch. I believe Ryle's character was a deliberate and brilliant choice by the author. In the beginning I could not help but fall in love with Ryle Kincaid and then everything just changed.

The turn of events was in one word "BRILLIANT." I also liked Lily's journal entries her letters to Ellen. It was a clever way, I think to talk about her past life. And OMG how could you not love Atlas I mean he is just floored and perfect. The only thing I think is that Lily took a bit too long to come to a decision about Ryle and it left me guessing too much. In a way it just made me want to read faster.

Prior to this book I read Verity and Ugly Love (both were equally good), however I think this one was the best for me so far. On to the next one. I may try "Layla". 

2 comments:

  1. She is a master storyteller! I’ve read all but 2 of hers. Nice review 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I think Regretting You sounds really good. But I may read Layla next

      Delete