Sunday 10 July 2022

BOOK REVIEW: ZEITOUN BY DAVE EGGERS


 

Synopsis

The true story of one family, caught between America’s two biggest policy disasters: the war on terror and the response to Hurricane Katrina.

Abdulrahman and Kathy Zeitoun run a house-painting business in New Orleans. In August of 2005, as Hurricane Katrina approaches, Kathy evacuates with their four young children, leaving Zeitoun to watch over the business. In the days following the storm he travels the city by canoe, feeding abandoned animals and helping elderly neighbors. Then, on September 6th, police officers armed with M-16s arrest Zeitoun in his home. Told with eloquence and compassion, Zeitoun is a riveting account of one family’s unthinkable struggle with forces beyond wind and water. 



My Thoughts


This book gave an account of Hurricane Katrina from the yes of the Zeitouns a Muslim American family living in New Orleans at the time of the disaster. This account was really well documented because it was my first time, really stopping to think about the extent of the disaster, the destruction and lives lost. What was most interesting was the government's response to the crisis.

I always heard from the media, people talking about the injustices that took place and how they felt somewhat neglected in the aftermath of the storm. What also struck me was the events before, during and after Abdulrahaman's arrest. That part of the book was surreal to me.

I will give this book two stars because while I liked it, I didn't love it. I will say though that it piqued my interest and also made me more vigilant to hurricane warnings. Living in Trinidad and Tobago during rainy season we sometimes get these hurricane warnings and ignore them saying "God is ah Trini". But if Katrina has taught the world anything is that it pays to be prepared for any eventuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment