Saturday 24 October 2020

Book Review - Here comes the Sun by Nicole Dennis Benn ⭐⭐⭐


I am glad that after hearing several reviews about this book and author that I finally got my hands on a copy of this book to read.

I love reading stories from Caribbean authors and this book has to be one of the best I have read lately. The story is about a young woman Margot who will stop at nothing to help her sister Thandi escape the hardship of life in the ghetto in Jamaica. Margot's mother Delores also shares hope that Thandi, who wants to be an artist would become a doctor and help the family elevate. Margot sacrifices a lot to achieve success for herself and to help her sister but of course there are costs to everything.

I think that what makes this story so relatable to me is that some of the issues are indeed what happens in families that are experiencing hardships. It highlighted some social issues such as the treatment of the LBGTQ community in Jamaica, sexual tourism, rape, crime and I actually love it when a work of fiction really takes us down a realistic path such as this book did.

It was a well written story though I think the ending for me left too many gaps. All in all this was a great read.
 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26530351-here-comes-the-sun

No comments:

Post a Comment