Sunday 3 January 2021

Book Review: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell ⭐⭐⭐⭐



Title: My Dark Vanessa
Author: Kate Elizabeth Russell
Published By: William Morrow
Pages: 373
Genre: Adult Fiction, Psychological Thriller, Dark
Source:  Library
Format: e book, .epub
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


"Come and be worshipped, come and be caressed, My dark Vanessa, crimson-barred, my blest, My admirable butterfly!"

This book was disturbingly good. A page turner indeed.

What a way to start 2021. 

There were parts of this story that I felt uncomfortable reading but I just could not put it down.

Vanessa Wye is a fifteen year old student of a boarding school called Browick where, upon attending meets Jacob Strane an English teacher who she becomes infatuated with. Strane also has an interest in Vanessa one that leads her down an unimaginable path of destruction for the rest of her life.

I think this book is necessary because sexual grooming is something that happens more frequently than we care to admit. Many older men and some women prey on young people that may be viewed as weak. 

This book was so well written. I love the imagery and the relevance of every single person in the book. While reading I felt everything that Vanessa was going through. At times I became emotional, angry and also felt pity for Jacob Strane.

This book gives a good example of what can happen if people don't address trauma. 

I really want people to read this book so I would say no more.

I am looking forward to reading more from this author. 



2 comments: