Monday 1 March 2021

To Be Black and a Woman - Poetry Book Review ⭐⭐⭐


 


Title: To Be Black and A Woman
Author: Angela L. Fraser
Published By: DNA Publishing 
Genres: Poetry
Source: Publisher 
Format: E Book
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐



Synopsis

In a society that sexualizes you...

In a society that tells you that you do not deserve any more than your white counterparts, or the best out of life other than what is given to you, in so many ways...

In a society that tells you your self-worth comes from pleasing others...

In a society that tells you who you should be, how to think, feel, and act...

What better way to say no to society's demands than upholding your feminine desires, worldly knowledge, timeless wisdom, and black pride?

Written by a black woman, for black women, over a 5 year period, this book is about the beauty that resides in and comes after pain, the power in vulnerability, and the connection to black women change-makers that came before you.

Review


"They're teaching us tings that aren't true. 
Distant memories I have of you. 
Oh darling sweet darling, why so blue? 
Oh Africa, sweet Africa, 
When will my dreams come true?"


As I write this review I am becoming really emotional.

The poems in this book really touched my heart..
I haven't read a collection of poetry since literature in secondary school (a while ago). I completely forgot how well written poetry can have a deep impact on you.

All women regardless of creed and race go through struggles. Whether it's struggles with relationships, insecurities and worrying about our goals and future. As black women our struggles and insecurities are enhanced especially by how society looks at us. It is always a situation where we have to work harder to prove whether we are good enough, to prove that we are not aggressive, to prove that we are deserving of happiness.

The poems in this collection are really well written and it touches the issues that black women face not harshly but in a way that makes you think.

The words in this poetry collection will indeed stay with me forever as I plan to re read every chance I get.

The only thing I would change if anything is that there should be more poems in the book. I am sure there will be more to come in the future.

Thanks to DNA Publishing for sending me this work for an honest review.

If you are into poetry check this one out.

This book is available on Amazon you can use the link below to purchase 




No comments:

Post a Comment